Memento

 

Memento

Yarn, Purple Beads, Pink Beads
Roughly 4in. long




Detail of Memento


Artist Statement

This piece reflects the vivid memory I have with my grandmother as we were making bracelets by the pool. The uneven beads, moving from one side to another, represents my adolescence, as I was not the perfectionist I am today. The unfinished and frayed end of the bracelet symbolizes the fact that she passed when I was still in elementary school, so she was unable to see who I became; the story of me from her perspective is unfinished. The yarn is to represent the crafty stages of childhood; getting the cheap materials because I was too young to handle the nice ones. The pink and purple beads represent my childhood favorite colors, pink and purple. These were the colors that the same grandmother had painted my room when I was young, so they are near and dear to my heart while bringing a nostalgic feeling whenever I see the combination. The pattern represents the guidance of my grandmother. Being a child, I would have probably put the beads in a random sequence, but her guidance provided order.

Artist Inspiration

Eduardo Chillida

Peter Hoodgeboom

Martin Azua

On Longing

"The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale."
This image was taken just minutes before Taylor Swift came out on stage on her second night in Tampa. The openers had already been on and everyone was standing and cheering for Taylor Swift to present herself to the stadium. On this night, I was in the nosebleeds, but the stage itself looked to be normal, and all of the people surrounding it look like little dots, barely recognizable to be people. This is what makes the stage look not so big.

"The souvenir speaks to a context of origin through language of longing, for it's not an object arising out of need of use value."
There is not really any big use for stuffed animals. Instead, they are great gifts for someone like me, someone who loves cute little stuffed animals. The bear in the Santa hat was given to me by my Secret Santa at a Christmas party hosted by my little friend group. The other two are Valentine's Day gifts from the first Valentine's Day with my boyfriend. Though these gifts have no real use to them, other than looking cute sitting on my bed, they each have emotional memories attached to them and provide comfort. 

"The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped by the body."
My roommates and I try to take a break from work and school by going to the beach. I usually sit out and read, one of my roommates lays out to tan, and my other roommate walks along the shore to find shells she thinks I would like. These shells will always make me remember her and when I think of her, I think of her comforting nature, like a hug. The shells almost bring her into a small shell that will always remind me of her.

"To have a souvenir of the exotic is to possess both a specimen and a trophy."
Something that the fans did at Taylor Swift's shows was trade friendship bracelets with other fans. My friend and I made some bracelets and we walked up to people the two days we went to see the shows and asked if they wanted to trade friendship bracelets; these are the bracelets I received from other fans. These bracelets will forever make me remember the amazing time of not only the show, but the people I was surrounded by as well. Each bracelet is an extension of the great people I talked to as well as Taylor Swift.

"The place of origin must remain unavailable in order for desire to be generated."
I am definitely not a morning person. My roommate has been trying to get me to see the sunrise for about two years and each time I told her I would go, but then in the morning, I would not get out of bed. When I finally saw the sunrise with her, I stood there wishing I had gone to see more. I think one of the reasons why the sunrise is so desirable to witness is because a lot of us sit there, staring at the vast sky, and thinking "how can something be so beautiful?" The question makes the viewer want to see it more, searching for the answer in the clouds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experimental Sculpture Collection

A Natural History of the Senses Relief Sculpture